Name:
Location: Monterey, California, United States

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

300

I have had multiple people send me blurbs for the upcoming movie "300" about the Battle of Thermopylae, one of the most amazing battles in history. I watched a great History channel documentary about it a while back, and after finally breaking down and watching the film‘s trailer for the tenth consecutive time, I must say that it really gets the blood pumping. Basically, 300 Spartans and 700 Thespians stood against a force of between 60,000 and four million Perians (there is some dispute over the numbers), killing between 20,000 and 50,000 of them (including the elite bodyguards of the Persian King known as the Immortals).

The movie is based on Frank Miller’s graphic novel of the same name, which, unfortunately, I have not had the pleasure of reading (something I intend to remedy in the near future). I have not read comics since dropping the X-men back in late junior high, though my recent infatuation with the film V for Vendetta, as well as a certain project I am working on, have served to rekindle my interest. I find the medium to be a rather elegant means of conveying a story, particularly the works of Alan Moore (V for Vendetta, The Watchmen), Neil Gaiman (the Sandman series, MirrorMask) and Frank Miller (Sin City). I highly recommend watching the trailer, it looks incredible, like Gladiator on acid. It has been some time since I was this excited about a film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home